We invest so much time in deciding the jewellery that suits our personality and that we will hand down as heirloom to the children of our family…however, how many of us have given thought to taking care of those pieces in order to make them more durable and allow the luster to be there centuries later?
Taking care of the jewellery that we own is one of the best ways to ensure that the settings of the diamonds stay intact and they do not loose their luster.
A few ways to put thought into action:
Always remember to take off your jewellery when doing any rough work: cleaning, gardening, housekeeping, exercising etc.
Two reasons for this:
1. The surface of your metal will get knocked against other surfaces and get worn out, i.e. scratches will appear and the polish will wear out.
2. The chemicals in the products used for housekeeping, gardening etc are harmful for the gold/platinum and might discolour the metal.
Diamonds scratch diamonds, so do not put two diamond jewellery pieces together. Even if it is a pair of earrings, store them separately in separate zip lock bags/pouches. This will keep your diamonds intact and the gold/platinum on your jewellery will not get scratched.
Tips to clean and maintain your precious jewellery:
- Once a year, it is important to take your jewellery to your jeweller for him to check the settings of your diamonds and the polish of the metal. In the case of any loose settings or a lot of scratches on the metal, it should be fixed at the earliest.
- We should clean our jewellery regularly as lotions, creams, skin oils etc tend to make diamonds look dull.
- If cleaning at home, clean diamond jewellery by using a soft brush dipped in warm water and mild detergent. Take care not to use hard or sharp objects to remove oil or dirt.
I hope we have been able to give you a little insight into maintaining your diamond jewellery and keeping it sparkly all the time.
Kindly do not hesitate to get in touch with us at email@example.com for any queries on cleaning your jewellery.